Monday, July 2, 2012

Dylan Deploys

Dylan and I made the drive to Fort Smith on Sunday night around 11. I drove 65 pretty much the whole way. Dylan would say, "Babe, the speed limit is 70," and I would say, "I know." I knew the drive back home would be long and hard without him, so I wanted our last little drive to last.

After settling in the hotel, we got to sleep around 1:30. He woke up around 6:35 and started to get ready. I dropped him off on base at 7:45 after buying him a quick breakfast at Braums. He had to wait in a LONG line of others to get checked in. It took him almost an hour. While that was going on, I was back at the hotel getting pretty to see my man off!

I met his parents at a parking lot across the street from the base and they rode with me to park the car and find Dylan. He must have been bored because he was waiting on a corner for us shortly after we got past security. Poor guy. He jumped in the car with us and told me where to park


We sat with him in the "hanger" I think they called it… It was like a big garage where they usually hold the airplanes and work on them.. from 10:30ish until 12:45 when they called his group to load up. It was probably one of the hardest goodbyes I've EVER made. I HATE goodbyes. Hate them



After that he went into a holding room where we could still peek at him. His boss, Sarah, came over to comfort us after he left. ALL of his coworkers and their wives were so helpful and comforting. I came home with several new numbers in my phone that they gave me incase I needed anything. I think they all think very highly of Dylan, and that makes me happy.

I couldn't bring myself to leave Fort Smith after I dropped his parents back off at their car. I went to get an iced tea at Chick Fil A and then I sat in a parking lot close to base and waited for the plane. I know this picture is terrible, but it happened so quick, I had literally 2 seconds to jump out of my car and take it
I held it all together pretty well until that plane took off. I got back in my car and just cried. I didn't know how I was going to make it home.

It has been really hard since he left (yesterday) and I've had minimal contact with him. I woke up to a message from him this morning that said they made it halfway there. Sometime this afternoon I expect a phone call from him. I can't wait to hear his voice. I miss him so much already.

No comments:

Post a Comment