Monday, July 2, 2012

Catch Up




Dylan was supposed to report (work) in Fort Smith on base last Thursday and Friday. Well, he did work on Thursday, but they got everything done so he called and said "Surprise! I'm off on Friday!" Which I was happy about… and sad about… I was dependent on spending time that Friday preparing for his SURPRISE GOING AWAY PARTY! I had no idea how I was going to get it all done, but I did know that spending time with Dylan was a priority. So I packed up and headed down to Fort Smith to go on a date with my man! At his request, we ate at our favorite Indian restaurant and then went to see "That's My Boy" at the movies. He laughed through the whole thing- that whole movie was full of "dylan humor" and I was glad to see him enjoying himself. On Friday we drove back to Fayetteville, did a little shopping at the Promenade, did some driving around the lake and such, and then we went to visit my Aunt Mary and Uncle Richard. Dylan was really sweet and requested to visit a lot of people before he left. I just love him.

On Saturday morning, I made up an excuse to go home and help my mom bake a cake for a party that she was going to that night. I had been texting Cal, Dylan's best friend, and planned for him to entertain Dylan so I could get some stuff done for his party. They went on a motorcycle ride and swimming at the lake. I was so thankful that he was preoccupied that day, and also that she was able to spend some time with Cal, doing what they loved, before he left.
Meanwhile, I was preparing stuff like this:


Meanwhile, his mom texted him and told him that she made reservations at a restaurant here in town for 7:15 and that she and his dad wanted to take us out to dinner for one last big meal before he left. He texted me about it and we both agreed that we'd go… little did he know.. :)

My mom and dad worked so hard to host this party. I'm so thankful that they love Dylan and wanted to do this for him (and me!) I had lots of aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins that were here helping, too! I can't say enough how lucky I am to have those people in my life. Between them, Dylan, and my friends, I'm just THANKFUL.

Dylan got home from his little journey around 4pm and decided to shower and nap. Perfect! I was still getting everything ready!

My Uncle Kevin grilled up some delish tritip and steaks. He's the best! And my mom made everything else you could ever dream up. She goes all out when she entertains and I LOVE IT until clean up time ;) NOBODY was going to walk away from that party hungry- and they didn't! I wish I would've taken more pictures of the goodies.

Around 6:00 all the peeps started showing up! I was getting SO nervous. Over 30 people came. Dylan's parents, sister, brother, and brother's girlfriend. Pretty much my whole family, and then 3 of Dyl's friends and their wives/girlfriends. I knew he'd love having everyone there, but I wasn't sure how he'd do being the center of attention… that worried me a little because I didn't want to embarrass him.

The boys passed the time waiting for Dylan by drinking beer and playing horse shoes
I loved having everyone there! Around 6:30 I started texting Dylan (I couldn't call him because I am a TERRIBLE liar and it was hard for me to even "lie" about as much as I had already) and telling him he better hurry up because we couldn't be late for the reservations! At this point, everyone was there snacking, drinking, laughing, and waiting. Around 7ish, my boy pulled up the driveway…
We were all standing there on the patio in front of him, waving and cheering. He pulled up a little further, smiling ear to ear, then in true Dylan fashion, he jokingly put his truck in reverse and acted like he was going to back down the drive way… :)

He was SO shocked, and to tell you the truth- I was, too! I had NO idea I could pull something so big off for him without him even being suspicious! I was so excited! He walked around for a few minutes just taking it all in- he was so out of it because he was so surprised.
sweet cousin, Jared there to show his support!
Aunt Florence, Dylan and myself
Thankful for Sasha and Justin!
Couldn't have pulled this off without these two… so so thankful!
(I realize this post is getting a little too long, but I want all of this to be documented for Dylan. Also I realize that the pants I'm wearing in these pictures make me look like I'm not wearing pants at all. I got teased a lot by my loving family for that :)


I'm just so THANKFUL for this guy and glad I could do this for him and make him feel special and appreciated- because he is. It brings tears to my eyes how much my family loves and supports him just like I do. We are so lucky to have the friends that we do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment